Starting our day, we get an interesting launch from Microsoft, their new Planner tool. It is not meant to replace Project, but it does look similar to tools like Trello. It is part of Office 365 which means many people will have access to it, giving it a very simple entry into the market. Adrien Magnus gives us an interesting post on using Amazon autoscaling with stateful applications. Given how many enterprise applications seem to be heading in this direction, it is becoming more important to understand. On the Flying Frog Blog, we have an excellent perspective on the disadvantages of purely functional programming. The post is not a rant like many of its kind, it is a fair look at what can happen when you go purely functional.
As always, enjoy today’s items, and please participate in the discussions on these sites.
Startups, Career and Process
- Learning to like design documents | Julia Evans
- Maintainable Code vs Common Code | DaedTech
- Agile Economics: Scale 3D | Gil Zilberfeld
- The Case for and Against Estimates, Part 1 | Johanna Rothman
Design and Development
- Ceylon on Android | Java Code Geeks
- JSON Compression by Rotating Data 90 degrees | MalcTheOracle
- Declarative Design Tools | Jon Gold
- Anatomy of a bug fix | Krita
- Constraints | Tagide
- A Tool For Thought | swannodette
- Applying Java 8 Idioms to Existing Code | DZone Java
- Observations From A History of Java Backwards Incompatibility | Inspired by Actual Events
- Disadvantages of purely functional programming | The Flying Frog Blog
Concurrency, Performance and Scalability
Infrastructure, Operations and DevOps
- Speedy Deployments And The Meaning Of Devops | The Hundred Minute Hack
- Netflix OSS, Spring Cloud, or Kubernetes? How About All of Them! | Java Code Geeks
Security, Encryption and Cryptography
- Banks: Credit Card Breach at CiCi’s Pizza | Krebs on Security
- Reversing and Exploiting Embedded Devices: The Software Stack (Part 1) | Praetorian
- The Shortest Reflected XSS Attack Possible | Fooling the Interpreter
IaaS, PaaS, Saas and *aas
- Using Amazon Auto Scaling with stateful applications | Adrien Magnus
- Programming Digest #162 for June 6, 2016 | Weekly Programming Newsletter
- Dew Drop – June 6, 2016 (#2266) | Morning Dew
One thought on “Geek Reading June 8, 2016 #1123”
Great! If we get something like Trello then its much more useful to use Microsoft 365 for my business.
Comments are closed.